The college football season is off and running and there have already been several memorable moments. Let’s take a look at the biggest winners and losers from week 2:
- BYU. Ho hum, another week and another dramatic touchdown pass to win a football game for backup quarterback Tyler Mangum. BYU plays a daunting schedule this season but wins against Nebraska and #20 Boise State should not go unnoticed.
- Michigan State. The Spartans were able to avenge their 2014 loss to the Ducks and have probably established themselves as the second best team in the Big 10 at this point in time.
- Jacksonville State. I learned that this university is actually in Alabama as opposed to Jacksonville, Florida…Oh and they SHOULD have pulled off perhaps the biggest upset in college football if not for some coaching gaffes late in the game. A loss on the scoreboard? Sure, but a win in the hearts of non-Auburn football fans everywhere.
- Kentucky. The Wildcats won their first conference road game since 2009 against South Carolina. This outcome probably says more about the state of affairs in Columbia as the Gamecocks appear to be on a downswing. Could the end be near for the Old Ball Coach?
- The SEC hype machine. Yes, I’m pointing at you Arkansas and Tennssee. These two programs were proud winners of the pre-season “we should be good on paper” award and yet Arkansas lost at home to Toledo on Saturday. Tennessee’s loss was much more excusable in that it came at the hands of a legitimate opponent, but after losing 33 of their last 35 games against ranked teams, the Vols needed to make a statement at home and, instead, they blew a 17-3 lead and eventually fell in overtime.
- Maryland. If a tree falls in the forest did anyone take the time to watch it fall? So how many sets of human eyes actually saw Maryland get blown out at home by Bowling Green? Probably not many but according to my Yahoo Sports app, it happened. I’m sorry but that guy in “Wedding Crashers” that said “Crab cakes and football, that’s what Maryland does!” was lying to you all.
- Kansas. This really just isn’t even fun anymore. This will be their last appearance on this list for the rest of the season because their ineptitude is such commonplace. They were bludgeoned at home, once again, this time by the Memphis Tigers 55-23. Kansas is likely the worst power-five team and may have the worst defense anyone has seen in recent memory.
- The Florida player who made a throat slashing gesture. He will never do that again, that much is for sure. Coach Jim McElwain berated Kelvin Taylor after getting a personal foul penalty that cost the Gators 15 yards during their 31-24 win over East Carolina.
- This Virginia fan. We’ve all been there, but you can’t help but feel for this poor gentleman following Notre Dame’s last second touchdown to thwart Virginia’s upset attempt.